Every thing about POTATO | Vahrehvah :
Potato, among many edible crops that emerged at the dawn of modern human civilization and managed to spread across entire world, its nutritional value, storage quality managed to distinguish by their ruggedness. Potatoes have become an integral part in most of the world’s cuisine. The potato belongs to the Solanaceae or nightshade family whose other members include tomatoes and aubergines.
Potatoes originated in the Andean mountain region of South America. The word potato comes from a Spanish word namely patata. The word "potato" may refer either to the plant itself or to the edible tuber. The world's favorite root vegetable, the potato comes in innumerable varieties. Each of these varieties fit into one of seven potato type categories: russet, red, white, yellow, blue or purple, fingerling and petite. We can differentiate them from size, color, texture and appearance.
Potato is used in many cuisines, whether potato is mashed, boiled, baked or roasted considered as comfort food. Potato is one vegetable that is really adored by all kids and youngsters too. Kids love to eat them in any form be it potato fry, potato curry, aloo paratha or any other dish.
In India, there are a variety of dishes made of potato like the aloo ki sabzi, batata vada and samosa, which is spicy mashed potato mixed with a small amount of vegetable stuffed in conical dough, and deep fried. Potatoes are also a major ingredient as fast food items, such as aloo chaat, where they are deep fried and served with chutney. In Northern India, dum aloo and aloo paratha are a favorite part of the diet. A dish called masala dosa from South India is very popular breakfast snack all over India. As potato is used in many recipes. Some of them are:
- Vegetable 65 is an awesome snack dish that kids love to eat. Made with mix veggies, slightly spiced and deep fried until crisp and done.
- Potato Podimas is a famous south Indian dish. go very well with poori, roti or Chapathis and rice. This dish also is served with curd rice and sambar rice
- Fried Potato Curry is a typical southern Kerala style dish with an excellent aroma of coconut milk and cashew nut paste. It is a luscious rich side dish served with appam, idiyappam, rice or puttu.
- Potato Capsicum Fry is a very simple dish yet delicious to the taste buds a delight with any meal. Usually served as a side dish, it can be eaten with rice accompanied with sambar, rasamor curd.
- Gnocchi (potato Dumplings) is a simple yet delicious dish of small dumpling usually made with potato or ricotta cheese. They are thick soft dumplings prepared from semolina, all-purpose flour or ordinary wheat flour, cheese and potatoes.
- Potato Balls are a trendy dish liked by most of the kids. This classic dish is prepared by boiling the potatoes, mashed and mixed with chopped green onions, grated carrot, spiced with fresh ground black pepper, mayonnaise and yoghurt; made into small balls and deep fried until crispy and crunchy. Taste best with any sauce or chutney.
- Oven Baked Roasted Potatoes is an amazing snacks dish for all those who love eating potatoes, especially French fries, Potato wedges Kids would ready love to nibble this down. Oven baked roasted potatoes are fluffy inside and a crisp outer covering flavored with exotic and delicate essence of rosemary and garlic.
- Crispy Potato Pancakes one of the yummiest and mouthwatering snack that most of us love to gorge on. It is often flavored with grated onion or garlic and seasoning. Once done, these crispy pancakesare topped with a variety of savory to sweet condiments.
- Potato Masala – Potato masala is considered as a classic combination with pooris. It is taken as a breakfast by most south Indians. Potato masala is done with boiled potatoes, urad dal, channa dal and spices.
Tips for using Potatoes:
- The potato skin is a concentrated source of dietary fiber, so to get the most nutritional value from this vegetable, don't peel it and consume both the flesh and the skin. Just scrub the potato under cold running water right before cooking and then remove any deep eyes or bruises with a paring knife.
- If you cannot cook potatoes immediately after cutting, place them in a bowl of cold water to which you have added a little bit of lemon juice, as this will prevent their flesh from darkening and will also help to maintain their shape during cooking.
- As potatoes are also sensitive to certain metals that may cause them to discolor, avoid cooking them in iron or aluminum pots or using a carbon steel knife to cut them.
- Potatoes as a very good source of vitamin B6, potassium, copper, vitamin C, manganese, phosphorus, niacin, dietary fiber and pantothenic acid.
- The vitamin C in potatoes acts as an antioxidant. According to the National Institutes of Health, these substances may prevent or delay some types of cell damage.
- Potatoes are a good source of potassium, helps to lower blood pressure.
- The B6 vitamins in potatoes are critical to maintaining neurological health.
- According toOrganic Facts, vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorous in potato can all help keep skin smooth and creamy.
Love it or hate it but no chance of ignoring potato.