Drumstick Leaf Adai is a protein and iron rich exceptional crepe which is popularly called as Murungai Keerai Adai in southern India. It is an exceptional crepe made from the combination of at least two lentils, rice and drumstick leaves. This adai is made from the combination of two varieties of lentils and rice added with tender drumstick leaves giving a nice zest to the crepe. Traditionally the Drumstick leaf adai is a breakfast item and can be prepared with different variation to suit your taste.
Drumstick leaves enhances the taste and simultaneously makes this dish remarkably nutritious. The freshly grated coconut complements well with the drumstick leaves and gives a crunch on bite. Adai as such is a very filling, healthy and nutritious breakfast dish. Rich in carbs and proteins, adai is a very filling and satisfying dish that keep one going strong until the next meal. It tastes very delectable all by itself but if had with Avial, it lends a heavenly and pleasant taste.
Recipe: Drumstick Leaf Adai
- Rice - 1 cup
- Tur dal - 1 tbsp
- Channa dal - 1 tbsp
- Red Chillies - 3-4 nos
- Hing - pinch
- Curry Leaves - few
- Salt - to taste
- Drumstick leaves, finely chopped - 2 tbsp
- Coconut, freshly grated - 1 tbsp
- Oil - for frying
- In a bowl put rice, channa dal, tur dal, dry red chillies and curry leaves. Add water, wash all ingredients nicely once and drain off the water. Put some hing, salt and water till all ingredients are properly soaked. Rest aside at least for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain the water and grind in a blender to a coarse paste. This batter needs no fermentation.
- Add finely chopped drumstick leaves, grated fresh coconut to the batter and mix well.
- Heat a flat non-stick pan and when it get hot, add 1 spatula of batter in the pan and spread evenly in circular motion from inside out.
- Drizzle some oil at the edges of the adai and in the center. Cook this over medium flame.
- Cover the adai with a lid and allow steam cooking for few minutes.
- Brown the adai on both sides.
- Serve hot with sambar, coconut chutney, jaggery or pickle.
Adai is a multi-lentil crepe, slightly crispy, light and a stomach filling breakfast dish. It is generally made with four healthy lentils that includes channa dal, moong dal, tur dal and urad dal. This is spiced with red chillies, fresh peppercorns and flavored with ginger pieces. Ginger pieces are often added as it aids in proper digestion and keeps the stomach light. Ginger also gives a nice warmth and spicy flavor to the adai.
Adai as whole is a high protein dish that goes well with milagai podi and ghee. At times, it is also with jaggery or white butter. Curry leaves being the main flavoring ingredients adds an amazing earthy flavor to the dish. It also gives a refreshing aroma and taste to the crepe. Curry leaf is the vital ingredient in most Indian curries especially in southern India. Do try this brilliant dish as it has an awesome aroma lingering around while preparing the dish.
For making more healthy and nutritious multi lentil crepes, do click on: www.vahrehvah.com.
My rating: 4 stars: ★★★★☆ 1 review(s)
You could always reach me at my below links:
My Cooking Videos Indian Recipes Indian Food Regional Indian Cuisines VahChef Sanjay Thumma
Enjoy Cooking and always remember that: “VahrehVah is all about inspiring others to cook”!