1. In a bowl, mix together the chicken, salt, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, curd, ginger garlic paste and lemon juice.
2. Slice the onions finely and let them fry in a pan until they are completely brown.
3. To the brown onions, add the tomatoes and the chicken and roughly cut green chillies.
4. Cover this and let it cook. Add the biryani masala(optional)
5. Once the chicken is tender, add 3 glasses of boiling water. Check the seasoning. It should taste like a soup with very strong masalas and salt content should be high. Add salt or more biryani masala, if needed.
6. Once the water comes to a boil again, add the 1.5 glasses of rice.
7. Let the rice cook in open.
8. Once the water has been soaked, cover it and lower the flame.