- Heat oil in a wide soup pot with onion. Saute over high heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned.
- Add tomato paste, parsley, garlic, and vegetables, and cook 3 minutes more.
- Then add lentils, bay leaves, water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper powder and additional salt. Remove bay leaves.
- Boil the greens in salted water until they are tender and bright green, then chop them coarsely.
- Just before serving, add the greens and the cooked pasta to the soup and heat through.
When serving, drizzle olive oil into each bowl and the Parmesan, if desired.