Every thing about CORIANDER LEAVES | Vahrehvah :
Coriander leaves are an aromatic herb with wide, delightful lacy leaves and a tangy smell. The fresh plant is used as a herb for culinary purpose and dried fruit is used as spice. Coriander also known as cilantro. Fresh coriander leaves are commonly known as the dhania patta, kotmir, kothamalli or kothmira in various Indian languages. Scientifically coriander is known as Coriandrum sativum which is an annual herb from the Apiaceae family. It is native to southern Europe, North Africa to southwestern Asia.
Ancient Greeks used cilantro oil as an ingredient in perfumes whereas the Romans used this herb to mask the odor of rotten meat. The leaves and seeds of the plant are widely used in folk medicine. Coriander is a wonderful source of dietary fiber, manganese, iron and magnesium. Herb plays a major role of savory dishes both in modern as well as traditional cuisines.
Coriander leaves are sprinkled like parsley on cooked dishes, minced or puréed in sauces, soups, sambar and curries, especially bhuna. Both seeds and leaves can be used in salads. In Thailand, the root of the coriander plant is used to flavor meats and curries. Fresh coriander leaves along with mint leaves are used in making of the Biryani masala that enhances the flavors and taste. Coriander, like many spices, contains antioxidants, which can delay or prevent the spoilage of food seasoned with this spice.
There are lot of recipes prepared with Coriander leaves. Some of those recipes are:
- Coriander Rice is a very easy and delicious recipe. Coriander paste is added to rice and mix with all the spices. Serve it hot and spicy.
- Kottimiri Chutney - In the North it’s called ‘Hari Chutney’ or ‘Green Chutney’. Served in a meal with curry and other side dishes. Usually used as a dip for idli, pakoda, samosas and bread.
- Coriander and Lemon Butter Milk - South Indian meal is incomplete without buttermilk. Buttermilk is usually made spicy by adding coriander leaves and lemon.
- Coriander Chicken - Chicken can become mundane and coriander can be collected taste. Couple them with spices for a flavorful meal.
- Kothimir Vadi is a Maharashtrian savory recipe, kothimir vadi are basically a salty spicy preparation with kothimir leaves and vadi.
- Coriander and Mint Rice is one of the favorite rice dishes among all age groups. The aroma of mint and coriander makes even the pickiest eater relish and enjoy the recipe.
- Coriander Steamed Cakes - Great appetizing steamed cake with combo of coriander leaves, flour, nuts and spicy flavors.
- Cilantro herb is cholesterol free and rich in antioxidants, essential oils, vitamins and dietary fiber which help in lowering bad cholesterol and increasing good cholesterol levels.
- This herb is a good source of potassium, magnesium, calcium, manganese and iron which helps to control heart rate and blood pressure.
- Cilantro is a great source of essential vitamins and minerals. It is rich in iron which is beneficial for people with lower hemoglobin levels and cures anemia.
- Cilantro juice is quite effective in getting rid of blackheads and acne.
- Cilantro acts as a natural antiseptic and anti-fungal agent in the treatment of skin disorders like dermatitis and eczema.
Extensively used around the world as a condiment, garnish or enhance culinary dishes. Leaves and fruits of cilantro have a recognizable and pleasant aroma.