|Published||Sep 21, 2007||Cooking Time||1 hour|
|Recipe Type||Rices||Preparation Time||30 min|
|Ingredient||Chicken||Standing Time||1 hour|
Recipe of Chicken Pulao
|Turmeric Powder (Pisi Haldi)||1/2||Teaspoons|
|Red Chilli Powder (Pisi Lal Mirch)||1||Teaspoons|
|Green Chillies (Hari Mirch)||3||Numbers|
|Cinnamon Sticks (Dal Cheeni)||3||Numbers|
|Whole Cumin Seeds (Saabut Sufaid Zeera)||1||Teaspoons|
|Small Cardamoms (Choti Ilaichi)||8||Numbers|
|Ginger Paste (Pisi Adrak)||1||Teaspoons|
|Garlic Paste (Pisa Lehsan)||1||Teaspoons|
|Fresh Mint Leaves (Podina)||1||Cup|
|Fresh Coriander/Cilantro Leaves (Hara Dhania)||1/2||Teaspoons|
|Long Grain Rice Or Basmati Rice||2||Cup|
|Clarified Butter (Ghee) Or Cooking Oil||2||Cup|
1) Heat oil in a heavy and large pot. when the oil is hot add onions and whole spices. Stir fry for a few minutes, add ginger and garlic paste. Reduce heat and add powdered spices, taking care not to burn.
2) Add chopped tomatoes or tomato puree. When well mixed add yogurt and stir well.
3) Add chicken pieces and the mint leaves and stir well so the yogurt masala coats the chicken well. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes on medium heat till the chicken is cooked. (test by piercing a skewer on the chicken meat, if juices run clear, then the chicken is cooked.)
4) Now spoon about 2 tablespoons of fat/oil from the cooked chicken mixture into another pot.
5) Add 2 cups of the rice and salt to taste. Stir until the oil is coated around the grains of rice.
6) Add half the chopped coriander leaves and one cup of gravy from the chicken mixture and two cups of hot water. Cook on slow heat with the lid on until the rice is cooked. Add a little hot water if the rice is not yet cooked.
7) To serve, place the rice in a large tray or platter. Spoon the chicken mixture on top. Sprinkle with the remaining coriander leaves, Fried nuts (cashew or almonds) and sultanas may be added.